Saturday 23 January 2010

Life begins/ends here!



Had a dream last night –and you can blame it on a discusson of Zorba the Greek and misogyny, as well as some discussion that Mike and I had about Martin Luther, and my forthcoming African trip, and well, the horrors of clerical work. In the dream, I was in a conference centre, but back in my old job, with everybody older, and more mellow, but not necessarily wiser (the stasis of clerical type positions and mentalities). There I kissed a Ned Flanders character on the lips, a sign of my resignation to the mundane.

I looked down from the conference hall, and there was a sea of boab (baobab) trees. One of them began uprooting — it was crackling and sputtering, and dust and atoms were flying up around it. It uprooted totally, and turned itself upside down, and then continued towards the wooden doors of the university hall. (Ok, that part sounds a little phallic, but only retrospectively. It was not the sense of it in the dream, but rather the horror that a tree could animate itself). Now I think it went to this door to nail its 95 theses. It was the UWA administration door.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity