Saturday 30 January 2010

"Understanding" of Herr Nietzsche

Why is there the view (I am not quite sure how prevalent) that if I criticise Herr Nietzsche, I do not understand him? I believe this sentiment was implicit in a comment I received today. Is it because Nietzsche is to be understood as a totem towering over my head (waaaay above my head!) so that I am positioned in too lowly a fashion to make any sort of a critique?

It surely has as more to do with the vulgarly "common-sense" supposition -- by which I mean everyday patriarchal prejudice -- that I am in no fit position to "understand" Nietzsche as I am deemed to be of the wrong essence. Those who are of the right essence will "understand" him - but in this case, to "understand" means not to criticise, I presume.

Yes -- I "understand" that one must read Nietzsche, process and digest, synthetically, and without pausing to make the text fit into pre-existing paradigms (which would only stymie one's efforts). This is my point of view, as has been previously expressed. When I proclaim that people do not read him rationally -- and that leads them into trouble -- it is perhaps necessary that people do not read him rationally! The only caution I offer is that one does not avoid trouble by obeying necessity. The world simply isn't set up that way (and if you think it is, you have another think coming...)

It is a pity if I am presumed to lack my faculties because I can do two things in a row -- both to read and understand synthetically, and then proceed to analyse something more rationally. (Actually, this is the procedure that Nietzsche, himself, recommends if one wants to understand anything new.) I do have rational faculties as well as aesthetic faculties. I am just like you!

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity