Sunday 8 July 2012

On beating


From Clarissa's site:
http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2012/02/06/cmaj.101314
The children who are “spanked” (which is a hypocritical term for beating) become mentally damaged, have lower IQs, a higher incidence of mental disorders, etc.


I was spanked sporadically, but very heavily, as a child. As an adult, I am extremely intolerant of any kind of “spanking” especially the verbal sort. I’ve had all too many people who read what I say, or respond to what I do by metaphorically attempting to “spank” me. They have no idea how quickly that switches me off emotionally.

I have intense contempt for people who cannot communicate with me at the same level I’m trying to communicate with them, but instead resort to telling me off. They reveal the huge extent of their lack of intellectual wisdom and prowess. They must think the world is very much simpler than it is to feel that spanking another person can easily resolve any existing problems.

There are also those who preemptively spank, because they want me to do a good job and they think I won’t do one unless I’m given a lot of warnings about falling short. They walk on thin ice, because each time they threaten me preemptively, I develop a stronger impression that they cannot communicate and that they are insane.

People just need to be able to speak freely with each other, without this need to establish protocols in the relationship through spanking. I think the majority of people here are insane, although the Eastern people I’m in contact with do not spank each other figuratively though their everyday conversations.

I think this tendency is predicated on a notion of original sin, which is Judeo-Christian.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity