Friday 13 July 2012

Shake the peaches down


The Bar-Stool Edible Worm (Dambudzo Marechera)
I am against everything
Against war and those against
War.
Against whatever diminishes
Th'individual's blind impulse.
Shake the peaches down from
The summer poem, Rake in ripe
Luminosity; dust; taste. Lunchtime
News - pass the Castor Oil, Alice.

Here's some more stuff by Americans, which I barely comprehend.  The eyes grow dim in old age and one simply has to speak up if one wants to penetrate an ear drum.  This never happens to me anymore.   I try to listen but the words I come upon are much too square and rigid to produce a coil into the inside of my head.

When I was growing up, I cared no whit about establishing myself in a career or gaining financial stability.  I had only one desire and that was to have an initiatory experience of some sort.   I knew I wouldn't have the knowledge and experience to enter the next stage of life unless I had it.   It wasn't that I was so keen to enter another stage of life either. I just had a need.  Like a mother eats all sorts of bric-a-brac to furnish the processes of gestation,  like birds get restless prior to suddenly migrating,  I had to have the kind of mind-rocking experience that would make me wake up and appreciate reality.

I spent most of my twenties in search of this. My investigation of extreme ideas and extreme experiences had not ended until my early forties, when finally I'd taken in enough of life to be able to feel satisfied and satiated.

For now.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity