Saturday 21 July 2012

The psychological terrorism of identity politics

My problem is, and always has been with the constant mind f*k that is left wing and right wing identity politics. People led me to think I was saying or doing something offensive, something wildly off-base or insensitive, when really I was being projected upon.  For years, now,  people have been playing out their identity politics issues with me. It has also taken me literally years to realize that this had nothing to do with me as an individual, but was psychological projection. If only I had realized this earlier, I wouldn’t have kept doubting my sense of reality.  I became traumatized by my sense that what I had to say was completely unintelligible to others, or that it would turn out to have the opposite meaning to what I’d intended. It has become safer not to speak or at least to avoid speaking wherever identity politics issues were involved.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity