Thursday 3 April 2014

Plagiarism as Welcome Relief | Clarissa's Blog

Plagiarism as Welcome Relief | Clarissa's Blog



I once encountered a book in my local newsagency called "How to write fast whil[st] writing well."  http://www.amazon.com/Write-Fast-While-Writing-Well/dp/0898797381

This was way back in my twenties when I was naive and silly -- so I bought the book.

I read it all the way through, and the sentences sure seemed to cling together and to the other sentences and paragraphs in a logical way.  But afterwards, after having read the book, I was left with the impression that I had read nothing.  The words seemed to evaporate from my mind leaving no impression.

Then I realized what the problem was with writing fast.  You can, in fact, have a logical construction to your ideas and mechanically correct grammar, but the content doesn't stick with the reader if the book is written fast.  The opposite to a quickly written book would be Nietzsche's meditations, which stick with you a long time, even after you think you have forgotten what you read.

I believe I learned a great lesson from this about the kind of writing and thinking I want to engage in.   Even if it takes twenty years to get an idea quite right, you need to keep working on crafting it.  Time doesn't matter.  Only the quality of the ideas you have really matter.  Also, it doesn't matter if the audience doesn't quite 'get it'.  If you have quality to your ideas, some sense of what you had to say will stick with them.  They may never completely get the full gist of your concepts, but they will likely come away richer through the engagement with them.

That means that everything is at least following the right trajectory.

And furthermore, the latest theory on MH370 is that everybody was poisoned by Asian fruit.  Isn't that a far more consoling notion than the fact that they died violently by plunging into the ocean?  I'm not sure, but it may be.


No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity