Sunday 6 April 2014

That Asshole Is You | Clarissa's Blog

That Asshole Is You | Clarissa's Blog



There's a very apt meme put out on Facebook by some folks calling themselves "Urban Intellectuals".  Actually the group seems to be African Americans as it were.  The poster says, "I'm not interested in what others are saying about me.  I'm more interested in why they were so comfortable saying it to you."



Certainly if someone wants to play to both sides of an issue, their actions do become obvious to a skilled observer.  I wasn't able to articulate it before, but I knew a colleague at work was playing to both sides when she said, "I only told them what they NEEDED to know [about you]."  Then I knew immediately that she had told them what she thought they ought to know about me to make herself look relatively good by comparison.  After all, there is nothing about my private life the bosses NEEDED to know.



But so it goes.  Some people are cowards.  As for me, I now understand how this game is played, so I am particularly dangerous.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity