Sunday 7 February 2010

Bad dream--I mean, really.

I have no idea where this dream came from. I suspect that I went to bed last night thinking of gender politics, and the right wing term of "right to life", along with the idea that Japanese are killing snow monkeys as "pests". And my parents came over, for a somewhat surprise visit yesterday, and I am reading Deleuze and Guattari, which give me a kind of inner creepiness (I know, quite odd) with their views about liquidising consciousness down to a fundamental molecular level. I am also on the track of Oedipus within the Western consciousness, thanks to D&G. (I maintain that a lot of Freudian dreams result simply by being exposed to the theoretical material, and not necessarily because their concepts are already buried in the subconscious.)

Anyway, my mother bought home foetal sized elephants and hippos, along with the lettuce from the supermarket, that she now had on the chopping board. These pink elephants and hippos were roaming between the lettuce leaves. (It is true, that when I was a child, my mother bought home two baby chicks, along with her shopping. The Shona salesman outside the supermarket had assured her that they were female chicks, and it was upon his assurance that my mother bought them. They both turned out to be male -- white cockerals -- very aggressive, and territorial. They pecked at, and chased us children from their section of garden until they finally met their demise in becoming the gardener's dinner.) But in this case, she had bought home elephants and hippos. She said they were a novelty, and she would have to kill them now, before they got much older. (They were already moving around precariously close to the lettuce knife.)

I thought that if this is what had to happen, then I would switch my mind off from it, but as I did so, somebody else chimed in that it would be a shame not to let the animals have a life, now that they were in the world. Before long, they were spirited down to a mud pool in the front of the garden, whereupon they proceeded to grow exponentially -- to full adult size. Somehow they were exceedingly deformed, however. I said to my mother, "You have to find a gun, so that you can shoot them!"

She looked under a pile of items, up upon the shelf, and found the hand gun she was looking for. It was time to kill the ugly beasts.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity