Friday 12 February 2010

I had a hectic week!

I had a hectic week, tis fair to say. I'm not sure quite what made this last week so hectic, except perhaps that I am trying to process very many different parts of my thesis at once. I felt short of breath, in some ways -- in other ways, as if I'd entered the eye of the storm: the storm of mental noise, into stimulated alertness.

It's been an odd week indeed. A week of second guessing myself, at least that is how the beginning of the week started. It ended with me pushing through the haze, and getting a certain amount of work done.

I had delayed my library trip until Wednesday -- the day I was to redeem a number of the key reference books that I had earlier given up to being restacked, after 6 or 7 renewals (I believe this was the limit of renewals allowed). Mindblast -- the library has one copy of this Marecherian rarity -- had gone missing from the shelves (and not on one, on two occasions). It had been misplaced in the "323s" instead of the "325s". But this was way back late last year, when I had first gone looking for it, and put in an order for a library search for it. But then it was refound! But then ... I was notified and did not receive the email as my student emailing system had been changed. When I went looking for this book this week, it wasn't anywhere to be found again. So I commissioned another search. It turned up. I carried two armloads of books to my car, about 10 minutes away. I'd found one of the key books needed to complete my thesis. (And it is published by "College Press", Harare, so the pages are out of order, and some of them repeat. I wonder if I have been deprived of any key works.)

Then I got some work done that night. I didn't feel like it, but then I didn't not feel like it. Too many unrelated ideas were circulating in my head. But then there were also some key ideas therein circulating, and I made a concentrated effort and got some concluding paragraphs done.

I wanted to get this out of the way anyway, because there was a sparring session that Mike had organised with little Mike, (or rather vice versa), and I didn't want to miss it. Got there in a daze the next day, and enjoyed the first round with (l'il) Mike and the fourth one.

He tends to stand still and let you clobber him. Reflexes took over and I was laying in 11, 12 punch combinations. Such was Thursday.

On Friday, I reworked Black Sunlight, to make it a smaller and hopefully tigher chapter. I introduced some key insights that came (rather indirectly, I would have to say, via Deleuze, Guattari, who borrowed from Nietzsche). Also contributed to a Zimbabwe newspaper source regarding Break Free.

Last night I couldn't do any more work as I was still mentally processing the changes I had made to the aforementioned chapter. Today I woke up feeling kind of shell shocked -- slightly dehydrated from the fan blowing on me whilst I was sleeping, from the wine I had consumed, and perhaps from the sheer heat of the Perth summer.

I need a day off to recharge my batteries.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity