Friday 21 August 2015

Vlog CCLXVIII





I think it possible, if humans have any capacity to reason at all (which is doubtful, in many cases), that I may have been dismissed as a "co-dependent" by those who had probably read too much Ayn Rand and who have had a simplistic life with simplistic intellectual leanings.  That is why I decided to give them a taste of their own medicine.  Because.  Communication itself it an act of "co-dependency".  We sit still and we listen and we wait for the other person to say their bit, and during that time we are in all important respects "co-dependents".   (By contrast, the narcissist, as we know, never listens, but just twitters some jibberish and makes it strong through magical thinking.)
So I waited for those who are used to having their way, in seeming persuasive in their language, to begin to speak.   At that point, I relinquished my role as a "co-dependent" by telling them that I had no idea what they meant.  Perhaps they meant something to themselves, but I was not holding out any hope of interpreting their meaning, for I was nothing like their co-dependent, either in this situation or in any other.  
The destruction of the dynamic of co-dependency is also, to be logical about it, the destruction of communication and therefore of meaning. (So long as I don't care what you "mean", I stand above you.)
As the French philosopher, Gilles Deleuze, said, "To understand someone is to 'stand under' them."
From now on, I have no idea what the narcissist means, or what he might ever intend to mean.  His language is a mystery to me.  I renounce all involvement.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity