Tuesday 16 February 2016

Narcissists and the Polar Opposite Principle





I think we do need to be careful, because some people are quite aware of different aspects to themselves, which may be something they are working on at an emotional level, or even questioning on an intellectual level. In an environment where narcissism is universalised and expected, the simple statement "I can do this!" when facing something difficult or seemingly insurmountable, can be seen as a narcissistic assertion of the opposite to what one believes. (Of course on one level that is true, because one is asserting the opposite to what one has doubts about regarding oneself, in order to facilitate a movement toward efficacy). Also, intellectual questions such as, "Am I the fool that person X takes me to be?" can be deemed to be an admission of guilt, especially if one asserts adamantly, "I am certainly NOT the fool that X takes me to be!" The fact that X was able to plant an element of doubt in one's mind is taken as evidence of guilt or a tacit admission that one has those vile qualities that X supposes.


No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity