Tuesday 29 September 2009

"The deadly hatred [between] the sexes"


The above is a Nietzschean formula or rather aphorism (for I would not recommend you putting it into practice).

It's the point at which, for all of his insights and wisdom, Nietzsche introduces ressentiment into his picture of human relationships in the future, and so he makes ressentiment into the defining principle of "Nietzscheanism".

I have two important things to say about this particular defining principle of life:

1. I am not a person of ressentiment. I know how belong and get along -- but more importantly, I know how to take pleasure in all forms of genuine superiority without them first having to earn my recognition by declaring war on me.

2. However, there are those who persist in making war on women, as if this act alone would prove their masculinity. With regard to them I will only submit that Nietzsche's conception of "deadly" and "evil" -- which he attributed to women -- are, well, understated.

Let me state it : I do not like the entrenchment of the principles of ressentiment as significations for nobility. That doesn't work for me, psychologically. I'm not that sort of person.

I'm not sure that I ever used to be that sort of person either. Before I knew the literally quite deadly (in the material sense) and evil nature of male ressentiment, I may have found myself, at times, amused. These days, less so, because I think that so many autos de fé are unnecessary. Really. You don't need to prove your masculinity by hating on women. It would also be good to have fewer self-crucifixians.

For there are men -- living and breathing ones at that -- who do up to this day, roam the Earth quite freely, and never have to prove anything about their masculinity.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity