Monday 21 September 2009

my good will does not stem from compulsion

I was reminded of a few important facts upon reading this article recently.

It seems that much of the ideology of Randian selfishness has penetrated the general Western cultural consciousness, to the point that being mean is equated with being strong. Conversely, expressing good will is equated with weakness and/or meakness.

Binary thinkers beware!

I am important to you, and assuming that my good will stems from an internal compulsion will cause me to remove it from you.

In fact, I've always retracted my good will from those who thought that it was part of my nature, that I couldn't help but be protective of them. It happens very easily: you try to use the product of my good will as trade, to get in with the authorities, and immediately the good will is gone. You will wonder if you ever had it.

There is a certain amount of natural justice that often operates in human affairs. I have actually had people fired from their jobs, not by doing anything active but by simply retracting my good will. Their erroneous assumptions defeat them, for it was never in the pure essence of reality itself for them to express their selfish pursuit of petty oneupmanship whilst I continued to defend them. One does the most damage simply by removing the invisible defence. Active malice is far from my nature.

My good will is not a compulsion, but those who would tend to think otherwise will find out how important it was -- to them.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity