Monday 14 September 2009

velocity

I can't seem to do much work around August/September. I wonder why, but it seems linked, at least in part, to an increasing velocity of production as the year transpires, of which I seem only partly aware until I hit a brick wall it says:

"I cannot get things done, not at the moment."

I also think that there's a certain kind of pollen that appears in Perth in Spring, that afflicts me more than all the other kinds of pollen put together. It is not the runny nose and the red eyes that undermine my focus on the details. Rather, it is a general mental fogginess that August brings. I get overtired very easily, but so long as I stay on the right side of the tolerance barrier, with regular repenishments through resting, I don't get that overwhelming sense of having to think through thick soup, as though the inflammation from the mating trees had coopted my very platelets. So, I fold my arms behind my head and drink my little tasses of strong coffee, and I justify my sense of lassitude, which isn't that so much as an encounter with velocity (the need to get things done still faster) of which I'm only partly unaware.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity