Monday 13 September 2010

Insurrection: on destruction as friend and foe

Somebody cautions:

This [not being competitive] is a survival strategy, because women get destroyed for being competitive.

The view echoes a truth:  the power system does try to destroy women who are competitive, because that is not the role it has allocated them. During the recent Australian electoral campaign there was an advert for the opposition party that was particularly troubling. I later decoded it as attributing the persona of Lady Macbeth to our now Prime Minister, as punishment for being competitive. Obviously, the opposition was trying to say that she had gone against her feminine nature. Had the opposition's campaign succeeded better than it had, she would have been publicly "destroyed".

But there is another sense of "destroyed", which I find more conciliatory to our cause. That is in the sense in which one can allow the idiotic idea of having a perfectly feminine little life to be fundamentally destroyed from within.

Each time a 'patriarch' attacks me, for whatever reason, he or she compels me to revisit the fact that it is impossible to live within a patriarchal society. Such patriarchs do me a service in causing that part of me that wants to live quietly and harmoniously within an inimical social order to be destroyed. Each time they tear me down, I also destroy myselff.

I have heard the theory that one develops muscle in the body as a result of  tears in the existing fiber  Muscle is caused by muscle destruction and consequent rebuilding.


No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity