Thursday 16 September 2010

On whipping

People are often not consciously aware that they are being oppressive. That does not mean they are not guilty of oppression, only that they are not consciously aware of what they are doing. This leaves the person who is aware of it, indeed the person who is being oppressed, with a problem.

Suppose I am whipping you, only I am not aware that I am doing it.

The first point of action you might try is to ask me to stop.

Maybe you will get the response from me: "Well I'm comfortable acting like this. It is the quintessential me."

What will you then do?

You can try to grab the whip out of my hand, but I'm not going to let it go that easily. I say, "You are trespassing into my area and trying to take my private property!"

You can then try reasoning with me.

"Please give me that whip. We will both feel better if you are able to stop whipping me, and I will certainly respect you more."

I consider your request for a moment, and think, well, I don't really feel like I should stop whipping you to get your respect, when whipping you to get your respect is much more fun."

So you try to grab the whip from me using physical force.

Immediately, I let out a cry of alarm to all who are like me, who then appear on the scene with their whips, and start whipping you (writers of feminist blogs will understand this analogy.)

I says "See! Justice is on the side of the powerful. I hope you appreciate the efforts I've exerted in order to adjust your attitude -- for your own good. I don't want to have to make an example out of you again."

Having had this experience, you then come to a feminist blog like this one, and you say: "Perpetrators are as much victims and the actual victims are!"

Everybody then gives you three cheers.

1 comment:

Mike B) said...

Except, they don't bleed.

Cultural barriers to objectivity