Saturday 11 September 2010

my aesthetic

In all, I like a quintessentially masculine aesthetic in life, although this is not a sexist preference on my part -- I could just as easily work with women who embrace it, and indeed would prefer to do so.

I embrace the idea of training, for instance, toward a goal. One can marshall all of one's forces toward it, and then become that which one has been training to be, over the previous months or years. This makes more sense to me that sitting down and listening quietly to others. Rather than this, I wish to engage the full person -- and moreover that person inside, who becomes easily agitated at the lack of movement, who wants to press forward, discover something, in a mode of "make or break", eschewing safety.

I don't like a passive aesthetic, because there is less of ME in it -- less input and more accident. For the same reason, I don't embrace family and the sensation of having family connections. Family connections pertain to accident, not intent. When it comes to what it means to have a family, I am in general underwhelmed. The proliferation of babies, for instance, does not strike me as a positive outcome for world population growth.

In me, rather, is a core of aggression that wishes to express itself. I have learned to see it as my true self, since when I do not express this aggression, as a necessity, I rapidly feel ill.

I need the open plains (of Africa) and the sanctuary of the gym (in Australia). My aggression isn't social -- and doesn't require others to be present in order for me to engage with it.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity