Tuesday 20 December 2011

My martial arts goals

My physical conditioning -- it's all come along, as you might be able to gauge from the couple of photos below (taken from today's fitness session). This improvement is only to be expected: I've been improving all year, although in 2011, I haven't regularly pushed myself beyond a certain comfort zone. This leisurely pace of my development has been by design, as 2011 was nominated as the year where I would tie up many of the loose ends of some very complicated mental process which produced my intellectual wealth.

Back to matters of training: It's a sure sign of success that I no longer feel the kind of acid burn I used to. When I was about half my age, I used to get a lactic acid burn after punching the bags for several minutes. Now, I can go for 45 solid minutes at a very strenuous level. More than that -- I feel I could keep on punching the bags indefinitely.

My health is fine, apart from errant hormones. My blood pressure reading was 104 / 64, after training and a glass of white wine today, for instance.

I now plan to do a martial arts exam -- termed "grading" -- around March, so I need to undergo mental (rather than purely physical) preparation. Physical preparation for a grading is nothing compared to developing mental endurance, which can only be achieved through doing many rounds of sparring in one session.


STAY SANE AND SAVAGE Gender activism, intellectual shamanism

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity