Sunday 11 December 2011

On environment and character development

As an adult, I developed a great hunger to know and experience more than I had known. Be that as it may, trying to learn from people who had not had my much earlier range of experiences proved to be very bad indeed. I finally concluded that we were not even speaking the same language-that our notions of reality were very different on the basis of our very different childhoods. For instance, for me childhood was a revert impersonal time, where my most direct relationship had been with the natural environment. For most others, it seems their childhoods were times of dependency. If I assert that this impersonal state of mind is at the root of my being, people who have been brought up to experience the world purely in personal terms think that I’m trying to make myself over all “special” (and in a deeply personal way), whereas nothing could be further from the truth. I’m simply recognising that it is fairly easy for me to divorce myself from public opinion. But I can’t even express something as basic as this without people presuming that I’m trying to court public opinion by making myself seem different from others.
STAY SANE AND SAVAGE Gender activism, intellectual shamanism

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity