Monday 19 December 2011

Some counter-intuitive features of human psychology

Human psychology is strange, indeed the more I learn about it. Repression, for instance, is a very strange mechanism. I had previously supposed that one would be able to somehow mentally sense when one was repressing something. I know I can sense it physically in some ways, because I start to feel bottled up and my body erupts with various minor symptoms, indicating that not everything is in its proper order. I had thought that mental repression must feel the same way, which would be more in line with physics. One would have to press something down mentally, to effectively repress.

That turns out not to be true at all. Repression doesn’t feel that way. One can empty one’s head of very much that would cause concern and have ideas that are generally nondescript. My blood pressure gauge registers this mode of behaviour as severely stressful. By contrast, I would have assumed that to think about stressful ideas is likely to raise the blood pressure. However, my blood pressure gauge registers focusing on what is bothering me as the lowest stress activity of any. From these home experiments, I now understand that trying to distract oneself from whatever produces anxiety may not feel stressful, but causes a huge amount of stress. It’s better simply to register that one is stressed.

Likewise, humans have another weird faculty, for projective identification. Anyone who projects a negative identity into somebody else will not feel stressed by this action. They’re losing a burden on their psyche. Meanwhile, the person whom they’ve projected the nefarious identity into will feel tremendous confusion and anxiety. Western liberal ideology (a form of theology), alleviates the stress of Western liberals, but has caused me enormous stress throughout my adult, migrant life. It seems that much of what they've disliked about themselves as Western imperialists they've seen fit to project onto me.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity