Friday 16 December 2011

The post with no point

I’m starting to reflect on how unreservedly wonderful my childhood was. I was never bullied. By Western standards, occasionally the teachers were too harsh, but I didn’t feel it. Unlike people here who have trouble sleeping, I’ve never had trouble switching off from the kinds of problems that do not need my active mental engagement. My default reaction is set to switching off and going to sleep. When I’m fast asleep, no kind of noise awakes me. This kind of switching off sometimes means I don’t engage emotionally. When I emigrated to Australia, at 15 I decided the society and culture were fully meaningless and so I didn’t engage with these for many years. I also had no existing experiential or intellectual inroads into it. Anyway, after ten years or so, I began to work to enhance my emotional sensitivity, since being switched off was the opposite of nourishing. In many ways, I’m coming at reality from the opposite direction to most people — from a state of insensitivity to one of greater alertness.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity