Thursday 7 November 2013

Chapter 2. Communication Part 1 auditioning

There is a debasement of communication  -- or there has been, and this is now passing.   But we have been set back.   There are still many people who think they are communicating when they are not doing so.  Instead, they are pressing for conformity.   To deny others the right to communicate is sadistic, but this comes under the guise of helping them.   In line with this, one even assumes one already understands their goals and intentions.   One helps them to comply with external expectations, so that they may get ahead and make advancements in the middle class.

Here I am for your audition.  I thought I was writing about life or communicating important points about a theory I'd discovered, but now I find myself wrong-footed by present circumstances.   I'm supposed to pass your test.   If I can do so, you will allow me to participate in certain middle class ideas and values.  But right now you are stamping your foot and saying there are aspects of my views and values that don't fit in.

But you were wrong about me.  I never set out to try to get the part.   That notion was entirely in your own head, as was the scenario of the audition and your sense of my performance during it.   I never tried.  I wanted something else and that was to communicate with you.   I would have been happy with that, but your drive is to police and control.

All my failures of communication are the results of a scenario that does not allow for communication.     The idea that communication takes place when a gatekeeper allows someone in to participate in a group that shares the same values simply will not do.   That is to say it doesn't do and those who mistake gatekeeping for genuine behavior are mistaken.

Communication is not what you think.  It involves a risk, a rupture.   I destroy the integrity of my being when I communicate because I reach out beyond myself.   If others respond as if I'd failed to win a part, then there is nothing I can do about it.   Needless to say, I would not have risked myself in any way had I noticed you were the police.

We can't communicate because it takes two people to risk themselves and I cannot be the only one.   My risk is not an audition.   I would rather clearly stated views that speak their mind than this contrivance to make fake realities up concerning my existence and my purpose in life, who I am and what I'm doing here.  

Real communication is when the animal risks its erasure by sacrificing its sense of self-satisfaction with the normal state of things.   It's not a search for a bit part in a pre-existing drama.   Communication is intimacy.

But people act as though it were a privilege for me to be communicating with them, which it isn't.   I mean, why would it be?   This question rises and falls in it own arc, with nobody to catch it.

I take the risk on my side and experience the violence of both arc and failure, but that is all.

My mind may be ruptured with all sorts of little bullets, but I communicate mostly to myself.

To risk oneself is to communicate.

Needless to say.








No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity