Monday 24 February 2014

Clarissa's Blog | An academic's opinions on feminism, politics, literature, philosophy, teaching, academia, and a lot more.

Clarissa's Blog | An academic's opinions on feminism, politics, literature, philosophy, teaching, academia, and a lot more.


Well I did not have a sense of the cultural landscape in the past, or rather, my understanding of it was entirely different from what it is now. So I thought people were making rational demands of me. Now I see they were just gaining a certain amount of sadistic pleasure in pointing out ways they thought I fell short of their own values and ideals. I was only vulnerable to their emotional blackmail because I was a confused migrant. Also there was an element of truth -- I could not feel my own emotions very well. I tried very hard to be more emotionally aware, and I have achieved this, but I still do not effuse emotionality in the manner of a typical Western woman, nor would I wish to do so.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity