Saturday 15 February 2014

Victimhood = Aseptic Emotions | Clarissa's Blog

Victimhood = Aseptic Emotions | Clarissa's Blog





Regarding victimhood, I think a great deal of the mindset that used to be more traditional and normative absolutely cannot be understood now because of the changing meaning of victimhood.   I'm so, so old school in this.  To me it was the most shocking revelation I have ever had that some people simply cannot avoid being victims.  But that is what I learned from studying Marechera.   The colonial regime said, "Of course they always can.  It is their own fault!"   I could go more deeply into the psychology in relation to myself, but that has been done to death, without success, and there isn't any point.  Although the first time I noticed there was something extremely odd afoot was when they broke me down to tears at work, and I was so ashamed.   But it was proclaimed that my shame was just a form of manipulation.   So first you turn someone into a victim, which they do not want to be at all, and secondly you claim that they are only reacting as one because they are manipulative.  I find that really sick.  I'm not even sure it is a cultural misunderstanding, rather than a justification for more bullying.  

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity