Friday 14 February 2014

Progressive Racism and Progressing Stupidity | Clarissa's Blog

Progressive Racism and Progressing Stupidity | Clarissa's Blog







Australian academics are definitely schooled to be more careful with language, but we also suffer, as I posted above, from extreme political correctness, which does not seem so extreme until you are fully out of the system and realize how much you had been muffled.



I imagine that the whininess of US culture is directly related to its passivity. One complains not because one has something that needs to be fixed, but because one does not expect it to be fixed. It’s a way of relaxing into one’s state of being more fully.



As for me, me ethos is different. If I say something is a problem, it really is one. If something isn’t addressed as a problem, I start to apply the same standards to others as they do to me. They think bullying is not an issue? Let me address them exactly how I have been addressed, and see how they like it. (I actually did this as an experiment for a while, because I really didn’t know whether people could put up with some really harsh treatment and shrug it off. My findings were that they couldn’t.)

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity