Thursday 17 July 2008

the sly embroiderer


Something I've had to revisit of late is an aspect of travail that I had been avoiding. It's where my trauma's at. Or was. Administration work -- filling in forms intelligently and accurately -- has been something I thought I could not do effectively. Mentally, of course, it didn't seem to be a problem. But emotionally I had the feeling that I have when I am pressed to do something in which I feel incompetent: It's the sensation that I'm looking in an embroidery for stitches that are too small for me to see. (The embroidery analogy also has its historical context -- in primary school, this class used to scare me more than any other. My fingers used to get grubby with sweat, and I once -- shame of all shames -- I lost my thread, the orange thread that had been given me by my teacher, and had to beg my parents to go to the shops to purchase a whole new ball of thread to cover up for me.) When I have to deal with issues of young children or fill in a number of forms, (or put things accurately in places) I once again feel like I've lost my thread. I'd much prefer to be sitting back, doing what comes easily to me: intellectual work.

Unpleasant as it was, I think I've finally conquered my anxiety, at least in part. The bad dreams that I had in the past couple of days, as well as the cold, cold feeling, were aspects of delving into a part of my mind where I didn't want to be. A large part of the workplace bullying I experienced in the 90s raised the question in my mind of whether or not I was extremely incompetent at all things clerical. Apparently (according to online personality data) ENTPs (my type!) are the most likely of the 16 types to avoid situations that make us feel incompetent. That is, if we can.

1 comment:

Hattie said...

When it comes to matters like this, you are not alone! I always have T. look over any check I have made out or any official form, because I always make mistakes.
I am now pretty good at clerical tasks, but it took me a long time to learn to be careful and double check my work and ask questions when I didn't understand things. I just made a dumb mistake on a date for a meeting of a group I belong to. That's typical of me.
And my father was a CPA (certified public accountant). Didn't inherit those CPA genes, obviously.
Needless to say, I hate sewing, embroidery work and such.
But I love to cook. Never, ever use recipes. Cooking's one of my big creative outlets.

Cultural barriers to objectivity