Saturday 8 November 2008

Enn your own Gram

Thanks to Hattie, I am looking once again as Mister Enneagram, to wile away the lazy afternoon.

My tendencies have generally approximated the outlook of a seven. However, the flighty and prone to disintegrating character of the seven in its worse stages is definitely not me. When I hit rock bottom, I generally find something entirely other than the mood of giving up -- rather, I find a firmer will, the determination to succeed. Since opposition energises me in quite significant ways, (such that I often seek out genuine oppositional disagreement as a tonic), I would seem to have much in me that is like the eight.

It seems that I need difficulties and exposure to significant problems (which I will attempt to solve) in order to feel grounded. To be denied engagement with with hard nuts to crack, not to be able to challenge them, would actually be the recipe to send me insane. However to tackle something that is palpably hard, complex or confusing makes me feel engaged and real, like nothing else can. This is the mystery ingredient I need in life in order to survive effectively.

Finally, I am somewhat like the five, but once again not so detached from an active embrace of life as they are described as being. In my case if someone challenged my knowledge in a certain area, I would be disappointed at first -- but ultimately I would be driven by deeper sense of purpose than before, to pour in the amount of energy required to prove them wrong.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity