Tuesday 18 November 2008

Meltzer and Bion: post-Kleinians

My initial studies of the works of Donald Meltzer and Wilfred Bion give me the greatest certainty I've ever had that people who operate at the level of moral feeling impose upon others the antithesis of actual cooperative group ethics.

Identifying me as a nefarious social element because of where I'm from has the same psychodynamics as the latent homosexual going out to beat up some gays. I never have been racist (Note for Freudians: this doesn't mean I am racist; it's not a confession that I am racist, which would mean I am not racist, unless I'm concerned about being called racist, in which case I am, or I'm deliberately ignoring the issue, in which case I also am) however, it assuages some people's consciences (and concern that they, in fact, might be implicated in racism in some way) to treat me as if I am. And nobody says anything or intervenes. Obviously it so good way for too many people to relieve their self-doubt and stress that it inhibits them from seeing that any victimization is not ethical.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity