Saturday 29 November 2008

Melburnian dream

I had a dream last night that black Zimbabweans were lying on the road in Australia, as protest against the conditions in their country.

Another dream earlier in the week had to do with a Germanic mansion, full of light and glass. I was crawling on my hands and knees to try to get inside the glass doors before the building was bombed. (I think this had to do with the Mumbai crisis at the hotel, the murder of Melbourne backpacker Britt Lapthorne, in Dubrovnik, a seemingly Germanic town, at least to my twisted mind (it had a follow-up story on TV whilst I was in Melbourne), and the fact that a fellow post-grad student at the conference was studying Heidegger.

Germanic nursery rhyme music simultaneously mocked me and invited me to enter the substantial building. I crawled inside at last, and although the building was going to be bombed, I would be safe. Only I wasn't safe at all, because that minute a black alien-zombie was walking its way towards the glass of the door. I wasn't safe at all, and woke up in a hurry.

What did the black zombie represent? -- the feeling that black academics might be selling themselves short by adopting too much of the Western way of doing things.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity