Tuesday 6 August 2013

Should nobody stand?

Sexuality and Patriarchy | Clarissa's Blog

Somebody on Youtube just wrote to me:  Why use the term, feminism?  A house divided against itself cannot stand.

All up, I think this view encapsulates the patriarchal paradigm really well, at least on a psychological level.  Consider that if my emotions cannot be appropriated for use by my family, that is "a house divided against itself". But should I raise a protest that to appropriate my emotion as belonging to others is fundamentally unjust, then I am guilty of dividing the house.  I am then deemed guilty of cutting myself off from patriarchal control, and do not deserve to stand.   To claim for use what is my own is considered a hostile act -- one that is inherently divisive.

*I think in my case it was emotion, prior to sexuality, that was appropriated, thus it was very difficult for me to think using my own emotions.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity