Monday 12 May 2014

The “Aggrieved Kids Write” Genre | Clarissa's Blog

The “Aggrieved Kids Write” Genre | Clarissa's Blog



If you inherit two generations of fairly extreme war trauma, unmitigated by any social security system or other social niceties, are you "privileged"?  Situationally, I'm sure I was privileged, there probably isn't any doubt about it.  But psychologically, I was never in anything but an extremely dire state, especially after about the age of 12, when our historical circumstances took a turn for the worse.   So I had to bring MYSELF up, effectively, whilst defending against a raging parent and a world raging against the perceived or actual excesses of my former nation.  And on top of all of this, people kept saying it was a gender thing, that all these hidden circumstances were related to my condition of being female, which they hinted was a relatively deficient state.

But outwardly, I am the QUINTESSENTIALLY privileged person, because I seem to have been born in circumstances that most people would not have been able to have experienced.

I find the whole talk and assumption-making about what is or isn't privileged to be entirely deficient on the basis of my experiences.   Of course, if one's calculations are based on something more solid that a few, scant facts, one might get closer to a very, very, schematic picture of broad-based privilege -- who has it and who doesn't.

But failing the ability to generate such a wonderful way of reading and understanding everyone in the word effortlessly, one may have to actually talk to people.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity