Thursday 29 January 2015

50 Shades: The Movie | Clarissa's Blog

50 Shades: The Movie | Clarissa's Blog



Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I have a feeling that sometimes I am stepping on the Yankee toes just by talking to them. I’m not actively driving all my energies to help them become ‘a success’ and therefore I am perceived as an obstruction, who must be killed off. That’s okay by me, if they want to limit their range and understanding when it comes to intellectual development. More troubling by far is the notion that my character can only ever be read and processed as if it were completely earnest (or appropriate for me only ever to be completely earnest). These assumptions lead Americans to apply their pathological categories, which I consider would be more suitably applied to themselves. (Generally, when I have looked into it, this has been the case — quite a few projections.)
I am definitely on the side of making faulty products, in the European (and perhaps Zimbabwean) manner. My principles are aesthetic and intellectual, not monetary, and I am happy for them to be that way. This makes for a good way of thinking and a good way of life.
I think where Americans go badly wrong is where they become all preachy and start giving uninvited advice about how to orient myself to the world to be “a success”. I look and I see that they can’t get even such a basic thing as sexuality right, and I am not inclined to pay heed. Art and sexuality are messy but productive. The very trimmed and denatured version of women that they keep demanding is neither of these.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity