Wednesday 28 January 2015

The War Nerd: Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus | Clarissa's Blog

The War Nerd: Boko Haram and the Demon Consensus | Clarissa's Blog



As for the British, I am part of the colonial British, but nobody will listen to me at all, even when I am astringently critical of them. They prefer their meal in black and white. I know them deeply, though, their pluses and minuses and their foibles and what seem to me to be pretensions. On the other side there is a lot of bravey and “stiff upper lip” doesn’t begin to cover it when it comes to colonial mastery. I don’t see everything in a bad light. Indeed, aesthetically there can be nothing more delightful than sitting at the very edges of civilising power and seeing a steep descent before you into absolute wilderness. This is very pleasurable. And I do identify with many of the sentiments of Kipling.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity