Tuesday 6 September 2016

Alter Ego Vs Narcissistic False Self - YouTube

Alter Ego Vs Narcissistic False Self - YouTube: 

Recently , I was speaking with a friend about how my narc father used to be , how he treated the members of my family and I , she asked me if I ever saw the movie "The Great Santini" starring Robert Duvall , I immediately said , "yes that's how my father was" , not so physically overt in his actions , but his attitude and discipline was spot on.
She went into the other room and came back with a book , and said to me , "sounds like you were a military brat."
I told her that I didn't think so because my father had left the Air Force a couple years before I was born , we hadn't moved around like a typical military family does , and I hadn't enlisted either , but on the other hand I always did say living in my home was like a boot camp.
She said you could still be one , yeah I think I was.
I started to read the book , and the first thing it talks about is how important it is to maintain the mask of perfection , that the image of the father or mother , depending on who the head of the family is , that their image is everything , and their children are props in their stage play.
It's a look behind the scenes in a military family , but it's also very similar to the narc family dynamic , what she calls the fortress , it's always warfare!
I suspect that those victims who start to read this book will automatically know what the whole book is about , even if they've never been affiliated with the military.
Makes me wonder if the author is either aware that her father was a psychopath and is writing this book as a cryptic tell all in order to let the reader figure it out , or that she is just on the brink of waking up to the fact that here father was a narc.

"Military brats , legacies of childhood inside the fortress" ... by Mary Edwards Wertsch , with an introduction by Pat Conroy , the author of the story "The Great Santini , and "The Prince of Tides"
Jennifer Armstrong 
That's why I wrote my book, "The father daughter war". Of course the military connection was always there, but suppressed after we moved into a different culture.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity