Thursday 29 September 2016

Tragedy or chaff?

It is very difficult to see tragedy if you have the moralistic idea that anything bad that happens to a group of people is because they "had it coming". These are two opposing world views. I tend to write in a tragic vein, because I think that if anyone is deserving of annihilation, and even seeking it, it is the current crop of narcissists, who have become like chaff, without a core, and which the winds need to blow away. They condemned me and my people and my origins in a very pompous manner, but one can surely not replace a real seed, even if it is a bad seed, producing wildness and overgrowths, with a harvest of chaff. I just deny that this is permissible or that it makes any sense. Yes, I read Alice Miller ages ago, and you summarize her views well. As for the issue of Christianity, yes, I was brought up with strict Christian discipline, sometimes arbitrarily getting the hell beaten out of me, quite literally -- getting a real thumping from my father. There is also some nobility (also in the Nietzschean sense) in the kind of Christianity I was brought up with, which was paternalistic in a good way, not just violent in a bad way. Taking the responsibility to oversee nature, and to become caretakers of it was part of my upbringing. Wild and tame nature was our preserve; it was what we had to occupy ourselves with. The very difficult side of the Christianity I was brought up with was that it was also warlike and militarized (also quite literally). The government of the day had declared war against all other values, though its choice of words in the Unilateral Declaration of Independence (1965), which spoke of having struck a blow on behalf of Christianity and Western civilization. The point was to dig in one's heels against the global changes leading to modernity, globalism and liberalism. Once Rhodesia had made its proclamation, I guess war was inevitable, so a civil war that had been starting to take off and became increasingly intensified, with the communist countries of China and Russia funding and training the guerrilla fighters. This was tragic. My father lost a brother to that war, who had barely entered adulthood. Anyway, if was probably for reasons of the intensity of the emotions that the war had stirred up that my parents refused to allow me to leave Christianity. They really wanted to beat it back into me, after I renounced it, as their whole lives would have been in vain if the Christianity they had fought and sacrificed for was not true. As you now might be able to imagine, this put me in an extremely painful position indeed, because I was made to feel that I was killing myself and my parents by not complying with the Christian belief system. At least, I think, and I feel that I was killing a lot of emotional lifeforms that were begging me not to do that. That was my background so far as Christianity goes.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity