Saturday 17 September 2016

Who creates society?


 
I noticed Western narcissism pretty early on, not long after I migrated, but I thought the problem might have been with me, rather than with other people. I was so wrong about that. Society is the sum of its parts and I came from a society that was anything but narcissistic. Unfortunately I was soon tarnished with the same brush of narcissism, or even worse, since I did not know the game that was being played against me or how to defend myself against it. In a society that had had some actual moral training, like the one I had been brought up in, I would have been able to appeal to those around me, particularly my peers or the authorities in society to see the problems I was pointing out and to step in to do something. Unfortunately, to my great despair, I found that there were no responsible adults in this society, just people catering to their inner child. Now, it seems that finally after all these decades, the Westerners themselves are cottoning on to the fact that there is a problem within their society. Alas, too many of them are still catering to their inner children, even as they point the problem out. At best, it will take another century before children start to take the role of adults, which means taking responsibility for what happens around them and taking a risk to speak out or to act effectively when things go wrong. My view is that the reason this doesn't happen is largely due to Christianity and its notion of inner sinfulness and depravity. Nobody can expect a depraved baby to do something for itself, never mind on behalf of other people.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity