Sunday 31 March 2013

Emotional Crippling | Clarissa's Blog

Emotional Crippling | Clarissa's Blog


I will also mention that my inability to adapt to 'Western culture" (as I have experienced it) now appears to be to do with not understanding the logic of having other people mediate my experiences for me.  I tried -- believe me, I tried hard -- to get into the mode where I could be mediated and mediate other people's experiences for them.  I actually thought this is what was required to become acculturated.   But it wasn't mature -- and I had been perpetually misled by needy people who had poor thinking skills.

I have been hugely fortunate.   I now work casually for an Asian company and I had huge problems with my equipment on the weekend, such that I was only able to fulfill 60 percent of the tasks I'd agreed to do.   Recalling how the old bosses would react -- as if I were creating a problem 'on purpose' to manipulate them -- I became extremely stressed and expected passive aggressive responses at best.   But this didn't happen.    The non-Western culture I am dealing with is, fortunately, rational.

It's a simple thing to be rational.   But I'm in awe of it because its far from common in Australian culture.   Neediness, passive aggression and suspicion are much more likely.    The levels of immaturity here are very high.

My earlier cultural conditioning from Africa was much more logical, reasonable and effective than what is considered normal here.   I think late capitalism puts people under tremendous strain to the point that they behave irrationally.  But, there is also a cultural tendency toward embracing immaturity and neediness as a solution.

That's my judgment anyway.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity