Thursday 28 March 2013

Logic revisited

Who Makes Them This Way? | Clarissa's Blog

I think it's not logical THOUGHT that keeps women oppressed but rather gender-related *rhetoric* concerning "logic", which is not the same thing at all. For instance, if I say something that others don't want to acknowledge, for political, social or personal reasons, it can be the case that the one who is happier not to know will condemn my words as being "illogical".

I think the problem is that people don't really know what logic is. Again and again I've seen people express the idea that my normal, everyday speech is in some way a particular "logical fallacy". But, unless I am advancing a logical argument, there is no way I am in an position to make any sort of fallacy. Furthermore, it is oppressive to suggest that everyday speech is somehow in the mode of particular "logical fallacies".

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity