Wednesday 17 June 2015

Vlog CLXXXI - YouTube

Vlog CLXXXI - YouTubeBreakthrough Moment 9 minutes ago

+Jennifer Armstrong Yeah, Western culture is an ego-dominated culture. Nothing but narcs running around. I don't want to paint with a broad brush, but in this materialistic society it's all about mine, mine, mine and rugged individualism. Other cultures teach the opposite, that the nail that sticks out will be hammered down. The West is catching on though.
+Breakthrough Moment   Interestingly the only place I have been able to find work without being treated with suspicion and hostility has been one of those places which teaches that the nail that sticks out will be hammered down.  I think this demonstates maybe two things.  One is that I do not need to cope with people who feel toxic shame because of their historical engagement in racial politics and colonialism (in my first workplace I had to deal with those who falsely believed they were on the left -- an ostensibly leftwing workplace).  Another possible takeaway point is that I am fundamentally, which means from the base of my being, a collectivist.  I don't mean at all that I would support any system of dogmatic collectivism, as this also goes totally against my grain, but I do believe in pulling together and not against each other.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity