Wednesday 24 June 2015

Vlog CXCII





Strangely, the manner you need to adopt when you are in a time of war can look, superficially, like that of the psychopath.  There is a difference, though.  The psychopath genuinely experiences no emotion, whereas those undergoing exposure to war do experience emotion, but learn to repress it.   As I was brought up entirely during a time of war, I developed a rather schizoid disposition, at least on the surface of it, but underlying all this my emotions were boiling.  I had no idea how to bring the emotional part of myself and the stoical part together, or (initially) that this was even necessary.
Despite the anguish and the tremendous effort it has taken over very many years to come together, I do have one capacity I retain, which is the ability to be tremendously emotionally controlled and stoical under pressure, if I really have to be.  For very limited periods at a time, I can perhaps look and act roughly like a psychopath, although this measure is attained through emotional repression.  I think that of all people I am more likely to survive the psychopath, if I can act quickly and in a focused way.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity