Sunday 22 November 2015

Part 2: on Georges Bataille and transgression - YouTube

Part 2: on Georges Bataille and transgression - YouTubelloplop 7 minutes ago

+Jennifer Armstrong I don't really get it. I know Freud well. I know Hegel well. Nietzsche is hard to discuss. Out of the philosophers I have studied extensively, he is surely one. I feel I do not quite have a hold of him on some levels in the way I understand Hegel. I cannot seem to locate to the logic here that differs from Hegel, it just seems like a restatement of his logic with the addition of freud and maybe the Nietzsche I'm not quite sure of? I have a long way to go. I have Eroticism: death and sensuality, Tears of Eros, Visions of Excess, and a bunch of his fiction work. I just ordered the Accursed Share vol. 1,2,3. Do you have any recommendations for other texts? What about secondary literature? I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks a lot.
+lloplop With regard to Nietzsche, it's all basically looking at history and morality through a psychological lens, with a kind of Yin and Yang dynamic, only in the sphere of morality. Nietzsche also wanted to make history very, very conscious to us, through his psychological lens. He thought we could take control of it better if we understood what we had been doing all along, so that we were no longer just behaving unconsciously.
Bataille takes up Nietzsche's project, but he doesn't want to redeem the aristocratic outlook, as Nietzsche does. Rather, he wants to do everything he can, using Nietzschean-style psychology, to push forward a proletarian revolution.
Whereas Nietzsche sees that one must destroy the old, unconscious ways of doing things, and take control through mastery, Bataille wants to destroy the current bourgeois order. It is a political agenda, attempted through psychology, specifically Nietzschean psychology.
There is no short cut to seeing all of this, I am afraid. I spent a decade and a half on Nietzsche. That's how I can see his motifs reproduced in Bataille, but always with a twist and a different direction.
The motif in Nietzsche is of transcendence (mountain climbing), but in Bataille is is lowliness and descent from the heights.
I would just recommend reading the primary literature over and over until you start to see some parallels, especially in Bataille's oblique references toThus Spoke Zarathustra.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity