Wednesday 11 November 2015

white skin privilege?

Laura Herbst
Laura Herbst 12 November 11:39
I wonder how many black people in Zim feel their independence has given them any substantial privilege
Comment history
Christine Tutt
Christine Tutt 12 November 09:36
Exactly! Proves that the system worked if you put in the effort!! I wish he would give an acknowledgment to that.
Jennifer Frances Armstrong
Jennifer Frances Armstrong 12 November 07:02
Yeah, I am sick to death of the stupidity that pronounces me to have been privileged. Even in the contemporary Westerners' own material terms I was very far away from being privileged.
Rae Sunlay
Rae Sunlay 12 November 06:51
As for the situation Rhodesia "got itself into" it is simplistic to place blame on any one thing or person. We took the situation we were put in and did the best we could to keep our country alive, both black and whites, but outside forces were against us from the beginning and the meddling saw our demise. Given time and alot less outside interferrence I believe we could have had a good shot at becoming a truly integrated country which is alot more than those poor bastards have now under FREEDOM. All they have now is MIGHT IS RIGHT - try feeding your kids on that!
Rae Sunlay
Rae Sunlay 12 November 06:45
Came to this discussion late as usual! There is no doubt colonial life did offer "privledges" that were not available to africans but most assume "privledges" mean wealth etc. Alot of us come from ordinary working class families and I for one had a wonderful childhood but one that would be considered poor financially.
May Hanwith-Horden
May Hanwith-Horden 12 November 06:17
Like you Patti we had it tough but had a wonderful upbringing with good ethics an morals and were taught that love and hard work will always stand you in good stead.
View all comments
Original post
Patti J North
Patti J North 11 November 22:57
Just a thought here... please feel free to disagree with me... after a discussion with Chris Greenland and another member saying that we Rhodies are actually to blame for the situation Rhodesia got into.. and that we were privileged ones... I was just sitting here thinking about the words privileged whites... I grew up piss poor but surrounded with love... privilege perhaps is not monetary nor unfairness ~ instead it is way of life.. I was privileged to be raised a strong Rhodesian woman... raised knowing right from wrong.... raised to say no if I felt an injustice was being made... raised to speak my mind... raised to stand tall and proud... raised not to take no for an answer when others in charge don't want to make a decision ... Are these privileges ? heck no imho they are a Rhodesian way of life that my parents raised me in and I for one am damn thankful... Blessings on my Rhodie parents who raised me the right way !!

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity