Friday 5 August 2016

Self-reconciliation: Is this the hardest act of all? - YouTube

Self-reconciliation: Is this the hardest act of all? - YouTubePatrick Dement3 hours agoLINKED COMMENT

Crohn's Disease (autoimmune) is prevalent in my mother's side of my family, as were toxic relationship conditions. The onset was at age 10, and I ultimately needed a stem cell transplant (an uncommon and drastic treatment for Crohn's) when I was 20 to finally become healthy. The great medical gurus don't /really/ know what causes it and how to treat it, but I often find myself wondering if it was a way for me to escape the emotional neglect and abuse I endured. Running away from home didn't really seem feasible when I was sick. My health continued to deteriorate, and my prognosis was quite grim - I feel that the parts of me that recognized this and were attacking my body, hoping to do me in. Or at least force a trip to the hospital where I would have a chance at attention and warmth and nurturance from the medical staff. My older brother had it, too, but was not neglected to the extent I was, and his Crohn's was not as severe. He's fine on medication.

I wonder what the state of these diseases would be like without such unhealthy psychological treatment. I would have cost my insurance company millions as I aged were it not for the stem cell transplant. I bet spending a fraction of that on (good) therapy and creating a healthy environment in which I could live would have saved them so much money. As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Jennifer Armstrong 
In my original culture, sickness had the same meaning as moral decay, so I had absolutely not motivation to become weak or frail. It was deeply shameful. Modern people have a bit more wiggle room, because it is permitted to gain sympathy is one is sick, but that is not what I had at all. The weaker my immune system became, the more I blamed myself and desired to hide myself away. My father's rage when he saw me in that condition was ferocious.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity