Monday 29 October 2012

Knowledge and being

Shamanism's quest is ontological, to do with the nature of being, rather than epistemological, to do with developing a theory of knowledge.  It hardly denies the importance of knowledge.  Rather, it pursues knowledge in order to enhance the quality of existence.  Knowledge, here, is a form of mystical self-revelation.

My existence, of course, like any other, moves from the unknown to the known (relates the unknown to the known).  No difficulty; I believe I am able, as much as anyone I know, to surrender to operations of knowledge.  This is, for me, necessary -- as much as for others.  My existence is composed of steps forward, of movements which it directs to point which are suitable.  Knowledge is in me--I mean this for every affirmation of this book [INNER EXPERIENCE]; it is linked to these steps forward, to these movements (the latter are themselves linked to my fears, to my desires, to my joys).  Knowledge is in no way distinct from me; I am it, it is the existence which I am.  But this existence is not reducible to it; this reduction would require that the known be the aim of existence and not existence the aim of the known.  ( p110)

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity