Saturday 6 October 2012

Who Will Prosecute the Adults? « Clarissa's Blog

Who Will Prosecute the Adults? « Clarissa's Blog

I’ve never been able to understand the forms of logic used by most people in Western society to attribute guilt. That’s why I didn’t comment on the story directly. It’s always surprising to me to see how blame is distributed. Normally, it is apportioned to the weak and vulnerable, which doesn’t make any sense, although you can kind of get a notion of how this tendency is systematized through reading Lacan and his ilk: the child is deviant because the child is necessarily “psychotic” and hasn’t been brought to order by baptism/castration (the Christian transformation). This is Lacan’s formulation. Therefore, the weak, the vulnerable and dependent in society, are necessarily the guilty ones who suffer from irrationality, whereas the powerful and dominant people represent rational states per se.

Definitely, this is hard to stomach, and I do also find my Zimbabwean culture generally makes much more logical sense, which is why I’m returning to it.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity