Sunday 28 October 2012

Recent decisions


I recently determined that I had been trying to fit the mold of a Western personality. This hasn’t been working out for me at all, because it requires me to over-think everything before I speak, and then I get tied up in knots trying not to offend someone in a way that would make me seem a political monster. It also fed my creativity, though, in that it seemed desirable to compensate by saying monstrous things. What I lost on one side of the equation, I could gain on the other side.

Right now, I’ve decided not to bother anymore. I have accepted that I am rather insensitive to a lot of things that Western people consider important. I’m also very much in tune with aspects of reality they are oblivious to. I’ve understood that there is nothing I can do to change this. My force of will over twenty years has done nothing to change my innate tendencies, particularly what I am sensitive or insensitive to.

I don’t like being made sensitive to those things Westerners are generally attuned to. I even start to feel queasy and uncomfortable after a while, and much more quickly when I am cajoling myself into making an effort.

So I accept that I am going to automatically come across as anti-social at times, but not as much so as if I am intentionally sparring with myself and trying to bring myself in line with cultural values I consider to be inherently arbitrary. In those cases, I rebel against my own self-policing and become even more unrefined.

I’m sticking to the path of least resistance. It’s kind of weird to enter that mode of relaxed indifference after all these years, instead of being on edge. I know that I will upset some people by being me, but since I am not trying to carve out a career for myself, in Western culture, the stakes are extremely low.

This more relaxed state does enable me to be much more efficient in what I ordinarily do. I can easily do my job without second-guessing myself, and I can engage with most people in that way without offending them. I used to doubt whether I had the right to speak authoritatively on any given topic, but suddenly this is gone.

I’m always going to be too African for my own good. People confuse me when they make assertions about the need for greater sensitivity. It even happened at the Reclaim the Night rally, where I gave a short speech on self defense. Afterwards a woman asked me to show her one of the techniques again, and she seemed really nervous. Then two guys also came up to us to talk about the technique and to explain it to her in finessed terms. I thought that was fine, but she later mentioned that this hadn’t been what she’d expected and she didn’t know how to tell them to go away. So I guess I wasn’t being territorial enough, which is something I’ve also decided to stop attempting, since I don’t find it very natural or harmonizing.

I guess there will always be problems with mis-communication in my sphere, but I think the best way to minimize those are to enjoy life is to accept that I will  end up doing things differently.

4 comments:

Murenga said...

What do you mean by "I’m always going to be too African for my own good, though."?

In the example scenario at "Reclaim the Night", do you mean that it is African to be permissive and tolerant enough to allow the two guys to take over your instructor's role and session? Is it also Western for the lady to not know how to tell the two guys to go away? Also is it African not to be sensitive to what the lady may have preferred in your decision to allow the guys to take over?

Did you feel the same way when you visit Africa - Zimbabwe in particular?

I read your work, especially relating to Marechera and your teenage life in Rhodesia. I grew up in Rhodesia on the victim end of the racism in that society and of course I say that you were not responsible for Rhodesia's existence in its racist form. You and me were born around the same time in Rhodesia. I just have a bunch of questions for you.

How did you manage to retain your Africanness after having left Zimbabwe at 15 years? Could it be what the hostile Ausie environment that you experienced - causing you to reject being part of it/integrated?

Lastly, what will be the visible aspects and impact of this particular decision on you as a person and as a writer?

Jennifer Armstrong said...

Q. What do you mean by "I’m always going to be too African for my own good, though."?

---

A. It means I have no wish to adjust to a situation where I'm not living in harmony with nature and with other people.

Murenga said...

We are certainly bound to misunderstand each other every now and then even though we share an Africanness. We probably just have to maintain our "unhu", in the course of handling misunderstandings. You must realise that Zimbabweans will be reading you more closely and, if possible, will want to communicate with you more from now onwards. I am one of those reading your works and I will definitely pose a lot of questions, to aid understanding since your work, just like Marechera's, is not easy to understand.

Jennifer Armstrong said...

Sounds good.

Cultural barriers to objectivity