Wednesday 19 June 2013

history of gender wars

So the 90s were a bad time for everyone....

During that time, I found that if you mentioned even very severe forms of abuse/injustice, people would reflexively tell you to shut up and stop whining. So many people were telling me this that I even thought they had a point. So I thought, “Damn, these people are really tough if they could take all that punishment without so much as flinching. But I guess they are telling me it’s normal.” So I began to act as though violence and abuse were just something to be laughed off. But this reaction in itself made the men…the anti-feminists…even angrier. My attitude, that if you have a problem it isn’t really one, was okay to apply to me, but they strenuously objected to my applying that principle to them.

So I learned thought that discrepancy that there really was a war on and that talking or persuading was not the way out.

Very, very bad times. Anti-feminist backlashes are never good for social relations, because they distort reality so much and heighten negative emotions.

Nowadays, the antifeminists have changed their tactic, to say, “we are injured; we are hurt,” but still, like the Norwegian killer, they want to say that the structural effect of feminism is to blame.

They also see feminist responses as dark and “occult”, because they are unable to come to terms with them in realistic ways.

Now, I do think a lot of ‘feminism’ these days is rather insane. I’ve been yelled at by these insane feminists and I’ve seen normal, everyday people mistreated by them.

But the nineties really were a time when even making the smallest objection to any mistreatment would cause a hailstorm of misogyny to rain on you from all directions. Talk about excessive.

It’s not surprising that many feminists themselves then took the battle to another level.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity