Thursday 20 June 2013

sometimes the process yields the substance

I've never been too goal oriented.  I've taken end points and desired outcomes into consideration, to the point that not achieving them would have caused me considerable pain.  At the same time, I've always been aware that achievements were not capable of nourishing me.  Life is a process -- and the process either   leads to further development or imposes conditions that cause one to retract.

That is how I have viewed life.  The approach has served me well.

When I consider the social or intellectual causes I have taken up...the projects I've developed...they've all had questions of nourishment behind them.  "If I do X will I know more?"  If I participate in Y, will I develop a facet of my character that needs to be stretched?"

All my perspectives have been deeply organic.

This means that once a question has been answered, or a problem solved, I detour onto other, different questions.  I've always found answers, nourishing answers.  These were not always those I was looking for, but nevertheless, the issue is of  intellectual musculature.

The process itself yields the substance I've been looking for.

In hot pursuit, I can be very driven, very frenzied.   But my purpose has never been ....exactly...to arrive.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity