Thursday 16 May 2013

Can You Help a Depressed Person? | Clarissa's Blog

Can You Help a Depressed Person? | Clarissa's Blog

What I learned from my experiences is that what religious people come to understand as “female nature” or femininity and often what feminists and others have taken for such is just a depressive state brought on by accepting artificially defined limits to what one is or what one can do, or indeed the emotions one can be allowed to express.

I had the repressed anger (actually rage) big time — and guilt. The way I got out of it was not so much by analyzing this, but by learning to break the narrow rules I’d set for myself. Nietzsche said somewhere that a lot of morality is founded in fear, rather than in bravery. “Too timid to lie!” he said. It’s not that one should feel courage to lie for its own sake, but that one realizes that one often conforms inwardly because one is stuck in a rut of one’s own making. One must form new possibilities for behavior.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity