Thursday 16 May 2013

Gilligan's island

Can You Help a Depressed Person? | Clarissa's Blog

Gilligan introduced the idea that I can only reason ethically in relation to myself. This is absolutely not true and not true for many women, depending on the levels of discipline they choose to develop. I love watching Aircrash Investigations, which is called Mayday in Japan. In one show a female pilot takes a cargo plane up, but the wires that connect the tail to the body of the aeroplane have been tightened too much — a maintenance error. This means the plane cannot ascend naturally, but shoots up into the sky at a very steep angle, almost on the trajectory of a rocket. Naturally this destabilizes the plane and it starts to nosedive into a crash. Interestingly the female pilot directed the doomed aircraft into the side of hangar, where it had the least chance of harming anybody on the ground.

See, that is ethical reasoning at work. She wasn’t thinking, “How can I work this out in relation to me, and where would be a good spot for me to meet my final demise?”

Now, apparently, we have learned that women do not do that. As Theodor Adorno intimated, it is pointless looking at empirical evidence because ideology already determines what we can or cannot see.

I am a refugee from Western culture because I do believe it has gone insane.

No comments:

Cultural barriers to objectivity